[gst-devel] Possible collaboration with Overflow

Jean-Marc Valin valj01 at gel.usherb.ca
Thu Mar 29 06:35:40 CEST 2001

Hi,

I'm one of the main developers of the Overflow project
(http://freespeech.sourceforge.net/overflow.html). I think there are
similarities between GStreamer and Overflow and I thought there could be some
collaboration between the two projects.

Overflow is a visual development environment, like GStreamer. It is designed for
real-time processing of data (all types of data, but audio is more advanced). It
is already in a useful state, that is, enough for me to write my master project
with it (which is speech enhancement). Here are the areas where, I think we
could collaborate:

* GUI: From what I've seen our GUI have similar functions (connect blocks,
specify parameters, ...)
* Interoperability: If I understand correctly, GStreamer can be used as a
library, just like Overflow, meaning that we might be able to plug Overflow
networks/pipelines in GStreamer and the opposite.
* Common base multimedia libraries: We could probably share the low-level
audio/image/... processing routines.

I've also got a question: Overflow does it's computations by pulling results, ie
asking the last blocks for its output and letting everything propagate towards
the input (recursivly). Is GStreamer also pulling on data, or is it pushing?
Anyway, tell me what you think about all that...

Regards,

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin
Universite de Sherbrooke - Genie Electrique
valj01 at gel.usherb.ca