[gst-devel] INCSCHED1: scheduling / threading branch of GStreamer

Tim 'Tool-Man' Taylor tim at tool-man.org
Fri Mar 30 05:36:43 CEST 2001

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Tim 'Tool-Man' Taylor wrote:
>> BTW, does anyone mind doing some mod_rewrite magic on these Wiki URLs?
>> Being able to shorten the above URL to something like...
>> http://gstreamer.sourceforge.net/Wiki/GstDocumentation
>
> If you can get the sourceforge people to do it, sure!

You can turn it on in the .htaccess in your root htdocs.  Here, I
finally did the work instead of being lazy and asking someone else to
figure it out 8-)  .  If you put this in .htaccess (which I assume is
located somewhere like htdocs/.htaccess) then it /should/ work:

#
# URL rewriting
#
RewriteEngine on

# friendlier Wiki URLs
RewriteRule Wiki/(.*)$ /cgi-bin/wiki/moin.cgi/$1 [L]

I used captial 'Wiki' because there already exists a
http://gstreamer.sourceforge.net/wiki/ with miscellaneous files (images,
stylesheets, etc.).

Now, I don't know if the MoinMoin constructs relative or absolute URLs
for it's internal links.  If it uses absolute URLs then it sorta defeats
the point of the doing the URL rewriting.  More URL rewriting could be
used as a workaround, but it would be kludgey.  Hopefully MoinMoin uses
relative URLs.

If this /does/ work, someone might want to change the link to Wiki in
the main site navigation.

The rest of this message is just an FYI on rewrite rules placed in
.htaccess and can be ignored.

The big gotcha to watch out for is that unlike rewrite rules placed in
the configuration files (like in a VirtualHost section), the regex
matching expression is relative to the directory .htaccess is in.  This
is explained easier with an example:

Say we want to redirect http://gstreamer.sourceforge.net/foo to
http://gstreamer.sourceforge.net/bar.

In httpd.conf we'd use:

<VirtualHost gstreamer>
RewriteRule ^/foo$ /bar
</VirtualHost>

But in [public html root]/.htaccess the leading '/' to the URL is
stripped, so we need to omit it in the matching part of the regex, i.e.:

RewriteRule ^foo$ /bar

--
Tim Taylor
tim at tool-man.org