[gst-devel] a modest proposal

vishnu at pobox.com vishnu at pobox.com
Wed Oct 17 16:14:20 CEST 2001

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 06:50:59PM -0400, Andy Wingo wrote:
> wrt 1, how about the following:
>
> * audio: audio-only stuff.
> * video: video, including a52dec. ac3dec must die.
> * 'system': http*. icecast? rtp*. gnomevfs.

system?  How about 'net' and/or 'broadcast'?

> wrt 2, it seems there will need to be an autogen.sh that will search the tree
> for files of a well-known name to make the configure.ac script. It has to be
> done this way because AC_OUTPUT has to output all .in's, not just for the
> plugins that can be built.

That's a good idea, however, i can cope with building each package as
a separate package until someone writes that fancy autogen script.

> wrt 3, there is some stuff in GstHowTo about how to link to uninstalled gst.
> Also, we'd want to get gst configuration info as to where to install (is this
> right?). gstreamer-register has to be modified to somehow look in this different
> path for plugins. We need to figure out why libtool has problems linking to
> uninstalled gst when there is a copy of gst installed.

The faster 'make install' goes, the less of a burden it is to put an
"installed tree" in my home directory.  (Just a thought.)

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!   ... after all, why compete?
  http://sahajayoga.org                http://why-compete.org