[gst-devel] Plugin categorization

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Mon Oct 22 03:09:11 CEST 2001

> > dsp seems too audio-specific (operating on a stream of data
> > rather than on video
> > frames)
>
> hmm, true. In academia you're either doing Image Processing or Digital
> Signal Processing.
>
> However 'filters' still doesn't imply synthesising plugins like sinesrc.
> There could be another top-level called 'synthesis', or 'filter' could be
> named 'processor'.

I think one important distinction to make is between "connecting" plugins
and "start/end" plugins.  They need better names; I once suggested
"external" (connecting to the outside world) and "internal", but omega was
against that I believe, and he had a good reason.  In any case, what you
call "synthesis" sounds like sourcing plugins (start points), and you also
have plugins that make gstreamer  data available to the outside world.

As for the name for filters, I think DSP is a good name for audio filters
and IP a good name for image processing.  Ie, there's no reason not to
make the distinction between audio and video, I would rather see them end
up in different directories anyway because I don't see any reason to have
videoscale in the same dir as an audio resample plugin.

Thomas

Gotta keep moving on
lover you hide from me every time
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->