[gst-devel] Re: gstreamer problem

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Mon Oct 22 11:42:06 CEST 2001

On Mon, 2001-10-22 at 19:46, Robert Rosen wrote:
> Dear gstreamer developers,

hello,

> I am a relative newbie to Linux and gstreamer although I've been a
> programmer for 16 years.  Anyways, I've been doing a port of my multimedia
> app to Linux (gnome) and so far havent been successfull with gstreamer.  I
> downloaded it and I think I installed it correctly but when I try to use the
> components they fail.  I've compiled the samples (namely helloworld 1 and 2,
> gstplay) and they play mp3 files, however they dont play mpeg, quicktime or
> avi files.  They give a these error messages
>
> 1. when using quicktime movie files
> 	GnomeUI warning: while connecting to session manager
> 		none of the authentication protocols specified are supported

no problem with that, it's the gnome session manager that refuses to let
the gnome app connect to it (different user owning the session manager?)

> and host base authentication failed
>
> 2. for all - could not create the 'colorspace' element, doing without

colorspace depends on libhermes. If you install this library the
colorspace element should compile.

> 3. when playing mpeg files: a repeated error message
> 	gstpad.c  	- 	gst_pad_pull() 	- 	peer != NULL failed

This usually means a connection between two pads failed. In your case
I'm betting on the fact that your X server doesn't support Xv images
(you need at least XFree 4.0 for that) and there is no plugin
(colorspace) to perform the conversion in software.

> My assumption thus far was that the installation didnt go so well - or some
> dependancies arent there.  I also speculated that the colorspace filter
> wasnt regstered but the attempts to register it havent succeeded yet.  The
> quicktime failure seems like simply an unsupported codec but perhaps you
> guys could shed some more light on it.

quicktime only supports a few codecs ATM so I wouldn't be surprised it
failed.

Can you try again with libhermes installed?

Wim