[gst-devel] Can't make gstreamer work

David I. Lehn dlehn at vt.edu
Mon Sep 10 09:33:05 CEST 2001

* Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be> [20010910 12:16]:
> > > (Also BTW, is anyone working on Python bindings?)
> > >

> > I've wanted to do them for, oh, 8 months now ;)  Some guy who did bonobo
> > bindings poped into IRC a week ago and sounded like he was doing
> > something about it.  No code yet though.  I really want to get it so we
> > can subclass the gtk objects and all that jazz.  Feel free to take a
> > stab at it if you want.  I suggest trying the glib/gtk2 binding code to
> > try and do most of it automatically.
>
> Or if you're familiar with swig, maybe you can take a look at the gst-bind
> module in cvs.  Right now it generates some simple code for perl and swig
> should work for python as well.  I haven't looked at gst-bind in the last
> two weeks but maybe we can combine our efforts.

Nothing wrong with swig but i think that's the wrong approach for this.
You'll end up with wrapper funcs for every gst function. Then you'll
have to rewrite a parallel Python class hierarchy that calls the
swigified funcs.  The gtk2 tools are supposed to make this easier and
use gobject class stuff and introspection to more automatically create
the classes you want in the end.

I'm not sure what performance will be like but it certainly would be
interesting to subclass gst classes and do stream data processing with
numeric python extensions.

The interaction between threads, cothreads, python vm, and python
extensions boggle my mind.  Anyone know if there are any obvious problem
with all this?

Another more radical approach would be to, ahem, rewrite gst framework
in python.  I'm curious about how easy this may be using new 2.2 stuff
like generators.  Could probably do cothread-like framework with this.
Might be interesting to explore this in any case.  Of course then a
wrapper for C gst plugins would have to be written.  <g>

-dave
--
David I. Lehn <dlehn at vt.edu>  | http://www.lehn.org/~dlehn/
Computer Engineering Graduate @ Virginia Tech in sunny Blacksburg, VA