[gst-devel] new tool: gstreamer-guilaunch

Baker, Steve SBaker at CHELLO.com
Sat Sep 22 05:27:01 CEST 2001

I had a hankering to do some gui programming so I have started a new tool
which I hope you will find useful. My hope is it will become a general
replacement for gstreamer-launch where appropriate.

I think the interactive nature of this app will expose a few problems that
have been hiding. It might make development/debugging more productive as
well.

The app currently provides:
- text box to type in pipeline definitions using the existing -launch syntax
(without bash escapes)
- combo box which contains a history of previous pipelines
- file ~/.gstreamer-guilaunch.history contains command history for easy
greppage
- parse button to create pipeline
- play/pause buttons
- checkbox for each debug/info category which can be changed at any time
- an ugly non-standard interface, just in case end users mistake it for a
real app ;)
- conditional builds only if you are using the shim

What I know doesn't work at the moment:
- sdlvideosink stalls the app for a reason that is beyond me (help please!)
- xvideosink may in fact work but I can't confirm this as it crashes on my
box atm
- it probably leaks all over the place
- parse funcs in gstparse.c exit on error, which isn't very friendly

The tool will continue to evolve. In the short term I want to be able to
generate a gui for each element in the pipeline so that object properties
and dynamic params can be edited interactively.

In the longer term this may evolve into something which can create and edit
any arbitrary pipeline (using an interface which differs completely from
gsteditor)

Anyway, please give it a go and give me some feedback.

cheers