[gst-devel] Sad day in GStreamer development

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Fri Sep 28 21:48:01 CEST 2001

This evening, after significant discussion between myself and vishnu, he
has decided that he wishes to fork GStreamer.

For the past month, vishnu (Joshua Pritikin) has been doing significant
work on GStreamer, the *vast* majority of it very good stuff.  Recently
there have been a few incidents of commits being made to CVS without any
prior discussion, several of which were counter to the already discussed
direction GStreamer has been going.

The problem unfortunately boils down to the seeming unwillingness to work
within the development model that has built up around GStreamer, which has
worked quite well up till now, though perhaps not quite as fast as some
have wanted.  There are conventions that we follow, including sending RFCs
(request for comments) to the list for significant changes, discussing
things in IRC before committing, and maintaining general coding style.

I have tried to work with vishnu to resolve these issues, and we appeared
to have dealt with them, but in discussing his latest proposed patch, he
decided that I had an irrational fixation on the established conventions.
At that point I decided to remove his commit access temporarily, and he
decided to try to fork the project.

I very much hope this can be resolved properly, because a fork is in no
one's best interest.  There is no reason we cannot work together as a
team, following the conventions that have evolved over the last 2 years
this project has been around.

Sadly,
     Omega

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator