[gst-devel] gst-player

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Tue Apr 16 03:23:01 CEST 2002

Hello,

so Arik is working on fixing the player more, and I was busy trying to add
i18n stuff to it.

While doing that I was wondering what exactly the goal of the gst-player
module is.  Before it had been stated that the main app should be really
short (which it is, it's pretty sadly short actually ;) ) and the player
lib should be generic enough so that for example KDE could reuse it (maybe
I misunderstood that, that's just the idea I have of it now).

Well, at the moment the lib is not like that, of course.  I can see the
merit in splitting it up in a generic part and a gtk part, but in essence
if we want to do that, I guess we should do it the right way and start
from the ground up, because the player has had so many reorganizations
that it's just build- and codecrufty from the ground up.

ATM I don't really know how to add i18n support since the main app doesn't
contain strings, they're all in the lib, but i18n requires you to call a
few functions and stuff like that as well (as far as I can make out
anyway).  I'm going to look into it further though.

I'll work some more on building the player as it is now so we can package
it, because Arik is pretty happy with how it is right now.

Thomas

Cause I wake to find there's
nothing left of me in her
nothing more than a heart still at war