[gst-devel] Here's a pretty cool project ...

David I. Lehn dlehn at vt.edu
Fri Apr 19 08:51:07 CEST 2002

* Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be> [20020419 06:46]:
> ... that we might want to try and integrate.
>
> http://effectv.sourceforge.net/
>
> Some of these effects look, for someone like me at least, pretty cool ;)
> The effects now only work from a v4l device, which is a serious limitation
> and thus a good reason to try and convince this guy to write his effects
> as gstreamer plugins.  It'll take some time, but it would be worth the
> effort.  And I'm willing to help ;) his effects seem like a good way to
> learn video programming.
> IMO we should start to try and bring in more projects like this to achieve
> more critical GStreamer mass.  We might turn up the PR factor a little.

I added that to the wishlist a long long time ago:
http://gstreamer.net/wiki/index.php?GstWishList

The main problem at the time, and I think it is still so, is that the
plugins use alot of SDL stuff.  They expect to get SDL user events.  We
don't really have any code to deliver key presses and mouse clicks to
plugins.  Not to mention the issues if we chain these things and they
all can handle the same key press.

I think that's why I gave up.  Perhaps worth a looking at it again.

[speaking of the wiki... perhaps the first page:
http://gstreamer.net/wiki/ shouldn't just say "What the fuck?"]

-dave
--
David I. Lehn <dlehn at vt.edu>  | http://crib.lehn.org:8080/~dlehn/