[gst-devel] [Fwd: Re: [Effectv-developers] Effectv and GStreamer]

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Tue Apr 23 02:11:07 CEST 2002

Hello Kentarou,

I'm glad you want to consider porting effects to GStreamer.  We want to do
our part of course to help you with it.

I've looked over some of the code in effectv and it looks really
light-weight.
My original idea was the following :
a) put all your effect plugins in a shared library which would be used by
your actual application and could be used by GStreamer as well.
b) maybe, if you want that, convert effectv to autoconf and automake,
   because that would make it easier to do a)
c) find some way to provide a common entry and exit point for video
   frames, so that it is relatively easy to use another source and sink
   for them.  I have to check how exactly you get video in and out, and
   I'm not a video person, so this could take some time.  In any case, I
   want to find a solution that does not give you performance issues,
   while still allowing other people to use your effects as well.

As for a good sample effect plugin, I'll ask the others which one is a
good starting point.

Let me know what you think ;)

Thanks
Thomas