[gst-devel] Re: Two new filters for NTSC inverse telecine

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller Uraeus at linuxrising.org
Sun Aug 11 14:55:01 CEST 2002

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 22:47, Driver Developer wrote:
> >I work on the GStreamer project (http://www.gstreamer.net) which have
> >some overlaps in functionality with Transcode. I was just forwarded your
> >mail announcing your two new filters for Transcode. We will probably
> >want to try porting your filters to GStreamer eventually and was in that
> >regard wondering if you would be willing to let us relicense them under
> >the LGPL as that is the license we prefer to use for GStreamer and its
> >plugins.
>
> Why, I thought GPL covered all necessary "open-sourceness" :)
Well kinda, but since the GStreamer project aims at becoming a systems
library we feel we need to allow all kind of programs linking to us even
programs licensed under non-GPL compatible licenses.

> I'm not sure I know the difference between LGPL and GPL.
The difference is that when you link against the GPL it demands that
your code is licensed under the GPL or a license that allows it to be
re-licensed under the GPL. The LGPL on the other hand puts no demands on
the programs linking to the LGPL code, but it do demand that all code
changes to the LGPL code itself are submitted back and licensed under
the LGPL too.
> Anyway, since filter_ivtc.c is based on Donald Graft's
> Decomb code, which is GPL'd, I'm not sure I'm ...allowed :)
> to switch to something else... maybe you should ask Donald?
I will, but I also need your approval since the codebase contains both
yours and his code now.

> Best of luck with your project (seems quite interesting,
> I'll look into it as soon as I can).
> Thanassis.
Thanks we are working hard at making it an excellent plattform to build
all kinds of multimedia applications. In fact we have been chosen
already to be the multimedia foundation for GNOME 2.2.

Christian