[gst-devel] question re: buffer flags

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Fri Aug 30 07:29:11 CEST 2002

Hey,

I'm reworking the GstBuffer documentation.

One thing is not very clear to me.  We have a few copy functions, and none
of them seem to copy any flags at all.

Here's a list of the BUFFER flags we have :

  GST_BUFFER_READONLY   = GST_DATA_READONLY,
  GST_BUFFER_SUBBUFFER  = GST_DATA_FLAG_LAST,
  GST_BUFFER_ORIGINAL,
  GST_BUFFER_DONTFREE,
  GST_BUFFER_DISCONTINOUS,
  GST_BUFFER_KEY_UNIT,
  GST_BUFFER_PREROLL,
  GST_BUFFER_FLAG_LAST  = GST_DATA_FLAG_LAST + 8

I think that, when a buffer is copied, the new copy should:
- set READONLY, SUBBUFFER, ORIGINAL, DONTFREE to false
- carry over DISCONTINUOUS (which is spelled wrong, I'll fix that now, duh),
  KEY_UNIT and PREROLL

by default.

The plug-in could then make modificiations as it deems fit.

What do you think ? If you all agree, I will look at this and make the
changes

And I'm not the drowning man you think
I flail my arms and refuse to sink
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->