[gst-devel] 0.5.0 regressions

Colin Walters walters at debian.org
Wed Dec 11 17:40:02 CET 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 14:39, David I. Lehn wrote:

> What is the plan for future?  Are there always going to be two releases,
> stable and dev?  I'm looking at this from a Debian packaging
> perspective.  I'm just wondering if I should change all packages to be
> parallel installable.  It does kind of suck to have multiple versions of
> every plugin package.  I assume rpms will have the same issue.  Not sure
> what to name them.. gstreamerX.Y-name?  Sigh...

I guess my question is; how would it be useful *right now* (especially
from a Debian perspective)?  I mean, once GStreamer gets closer to 1.0,
it would probably be a good idea to start thinking about versioning
everything in Debian (and other operating systems), since there will
hopefully be quite a lot more apps using it.  But right now there aren't
a huge number, so we don't really have to go to all the complexity of
actually producing parallel-installable pacakges.   It just sounds like
more work and more complexity for very little gain.  If I were you, I
wouldn't bother.

I think it's great to lay the foundation for parallel installs now
though, of course.

The above is just the opinion of a minor contributor to this project, so
take it as you will :)