[gst-devel] gstplay / gstmediaplay / etc...

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Feb 5 23:08:04 CET 2002

On 5 Feb 2002, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> We talked about having this in a different library, or at least
> something that doesn't require to have a pipeline. In Rhythmbox we want
> to get the metadata of the files without playing them.

Well, it's not possible to extract any data, not even metadata, without
playing a pipeline if you look at it from the GStreamer point of view.
And it is more than difficult to have a second set of libs/plugins which
are used to extract metadata, especially with the number of different
formats and sources GStreamer supports. So the only sensible way IMO for a
GStreamer playlist is to have a separate pipeline for extracting metadata.
But this is currently difficult, because we don't support multiple
pipelines (I think wingo's cothread hacking is going to solve that), we
don't support extracting metadata and we have not yet found a good way to
know when to stop extracting metadata.
So I would describe the current status of this as "planning".

> Incidentally the playlist in RB is a library, and we plan to add videos
> support to it, so we can use it the media player... And Jorn and Marco
> from Galeon joined the RB project :)

Congratulations :)

Cheers,

Benjamin