[gst-devel] random stuff

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Thu Jan 3 17:46:01 CET 2002

On Thu, 03 Jan 2002, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> * I've ran into a few cases where bytestream could not be loaded and
>   others seem to as well.  Can anybody help me fix this ? It's probably a
>   naming issue but atm i don't fully understand how supporting libs are
>   loaded.

check your plugin search paths at the bottom of reg.xml. make sure
reg.xmls is up to date. is this an installed or uninstalled issue? glib1/2?

> * I'd like to move some of the tests out of the core - since they test
>   plugin functionality - and go over all of them to see how we can fix
>   them.  I've had to disable too many of them lately ;) and tests are
>   useless if we don't maintain them.  They should tell us when the core
>   or plugins break, not tell us that we're lazy.  Do we need the three
>   separate test dirs (test/tests/testsuite) or can I put them all in one ?
>   any suggested structure here ?

here's my take on the matter:

* some tests are regression tests for the gstreamer core. these should
be in tests/ imo.

* some 'tests' that we have now are actually just examples. most of
these should go somewhere in examples/. examples from the manual should
go in examples/manual/. another aspect of these examples is that they
typically use plugins that aren't from core.

* specific plugin regression tests should go in the individual plugin
directories and should ideally not depend on the presence of other
plugins. so noinst_TESTS=vorbisenctest, etc...

thanks for the work. i had general anaesthesia this morn' ;)

cheers,

wingo.