[gst-devel] media player issues

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Sat Jan 19 02:51:03 CET 2002

On Sat, 2002-01-19 at 05:21, Benjamin Otte wrote:

> I'm not quite sure if that would be the right way because
> - filesrc might be faster/better than gnomevfs (this might be the case for
> other plugins, too)
> - cd access could work with other things than with cdparanoia
> - generally choice between different access methods is better. But that
> requires a configuration system...

Then, go ahead and optimize gnomevfs for your needs. Because having 2
methods to access http://... with 2 different proxy settings, etc. will
be a real PITA for end-users. The point of all these gnome-libs is to
NOT reinvent the wheel, just enhance and reuse the wheels you already
have.

But maybe you're a KDE guy and don't like gnome-vfs. Ok, then make a
kdevfssrc, which will use kde subsystem and settings. But please, not
yet another url handling lib.

	Xav