[gst-devel] helloworld; gcc 3.1; mp3types

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Sun Jul 7 18:25:01 CEST 2002

On Sun, 07 Jul 2002, Michael Rothwell wrote:

> I'm attempting to compile a gstreamer app --helloworld -- on RedHat
> "Limbo" (the current beta release).
>
> My gcc is:
> gcc version 3.1 20020620 (Red Hat Linux Rawhide 3.1-7)
>
> I'm trying to make a simple three-part pipeline in a simple C program,
> just to get my feet wet. This line fails:
>
>   printf("decoder\n");
>   decoder = gst_element_factory_make ("mp3types", "decoder");
> ... decoder is NULL.

Is this how it's written in the docs? they need updating...

> From my ~/.gstreamer/registry.xml file:
>
> <plugin>
> <name>mp3types</name>
> <filename>/opt/stb/lib//gst/libgstmp3types.so</filename>
> <feature typename="GstTypeFactory">
> <name>mp3types_audio/mp3</name>
> <mime>audio/mp3</mime>
> <extensions>.mp3 .mp2 .mp1 .mpga</extensions>
> <typefind/>
> </feature>
> </plugin>

Well, it's not obvious to you, but this plugin provides no feature of
type GstElementFactory. i.e. this plugin provides no gstreamer elements.

The solution to your problem is to use the helloworld program as
distributed with 0.4.0, in examples/helloworld. It's up-to-date.

> p.s. it's installed in /opt/stb, because I'm planning to use gstreamer
> in a set-top-box media-player system.

Talk to thomasvs on IRC about this if you're interested, he's been
working on something too.