[gst-devel] GConf stuff

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Thu Jun 13 12:42:03 CEST 2002

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> A) get our heads together and make sdlvideosink, aasink and videosink
> plugin-command-compatible, i.e. that they require the same kind of
> commands to be used (they don't have to be the same, but they should be
> somewhat compatible). This is especially true for simple things like
> alsasrc/osssrc and alsasink/osssink, which should really work exactly
> the same (ie. same g_object_{set,get},property() names/behaviour).

I disagree. I think the logical thing to do is to have generic element
uis that can be placed on top of any element, and let the user choose.
The properties can be adequately documented in the GParamSpecs. Maybe
some properties could be the same, but the alsa knobs are often quite
different from oss knobs (eg, see the oss programmer's guide's
discussion of the 'fragment' parameter vs the much nicer period-count
and period-frames properties of alsa).

I like thomas's pipeline description better ;-)

cheers,

wingo.