[gst-devel] [RFC] invalid buffers

Joshua N Pritikin vishnu at pobox.com
Sat Jun 15 01:20:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 10:09:08AM +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Le sam 15/06/2002 ? 04:46, Ted Gould a ?crit :
> > My first reaction says that there is no reason that the MPEG decoder has
> > to send invalid data, even without the I frame.  For instance if you
> > working with an I-slice stream you may want to show just the intra-coded
> > sections of the P-frames, and just make the rest black.  So I would say
> > that it should be the decoder's responsibility to provide valid frames,
> > whether they be NULL (black) or something like that.
>
> Well, having black frames is no better than having a wrong frame, for
> some applications.

Generally speaking, i would expect the seek code to somehow:

1. scan backward to the most recent I frame

2. decode it

3. skip the following P frames until exactly the desired P frame is found

For single-stepping forward and backward by one frame, i expect that a
local I-frame cache or index would be essential for efficiency.

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org