[gst-devel] Re: potential for midi support in GStreamer

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Mon Jun 17 10:53:05 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 19:02, Jonas Birmé wrote:
> mån 2002-06-17 klockan 16.10 skrev Baker, Steve:
> > I think the following 3 elements would be most useful initially:
> > - midifileparse
> > takes midi file format data on sink pad, and produces timestamped midi data
> > on output. A property will specify what the tick rate would be (default to
> > 96 ticks per beat or something). If no data exists for a given tick, it can
> > just send a filler event. Timestamp would be derived from the bpm property,
> > and the time deltas of the midi file data.
> >
> I think I will begin with this. A 96 PPQN as default sound good, what
> about multitrack midifiles? (type > 0)
> Should it be a pad for each track?
> Maybe multiple pipelines, one for each track?
> Sounds like a neat thing to do? Splitting it up in several sequences,
> the word dynamic come to my mind.

Yes, you could split each track into a seperate pad.

> But maybe at first, limit myself to SMF0 (Midi Format 0), i.e. only one
> track.

That would be wise. BTW you should just read the entire midi file into
memory before outputting anything - they are pretty small.

> Anyone has any midi files of that format?

There are about a gazillion here:
http://www.musicrobot.com/

and the midi file to text utility comes in real handy for seeing what is
going on.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/serissa/mf2t.tar.gz

And there is a file format spec of sorts on:
http://www.wotsit.org/

cheers