[gst-devel] sorenson codec

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Jun 24 03:06:06 CEST 2002

Hi Joshua,

At 03:27 PM 6/24/02 +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
>No doubt you've already heard the news:  The Xine project has released a
>GPL'd sorenson decoder.  It would be really cool if someone merged this
>with the gstreamer QuickTime plugin.

quicktime's plugin is a demuxer, not a decoder.

I hope ffmpeg will implement the codec, so we can simply use ffmpeg for
this. This actually makes ffmpeg just as troublesome as avifile, except
that ffmpeg actually works. Is that what we want?
Most projects simply fork ffmpeg's tree and use it. Do we want that
or do we want to link against ffmpeg's source tree like we do now?

We can just fork the xine sorensen codec code of course, but that's not
really the way-to-go(tm).

Ronald