[gst-devel] Buffers.....dont have any.

Sojan James sojan at malkauns.nsc.com
Fri Mar 22 04:07:02 CET 2002

One more thing I forgot to mention, the MPEG decoder is not controlled by
the V4L2 driver. The output of the MPEG decoder just turns up as another
input for the V4L2 driver. To the V4L2 driver, it is just another digital
video stream.
Once I push the raw mpeg data into the driver of the mpeg decoder, I have
no control over it. These buffers are definitely Video/mpeg.
 The only remaining work is to setup the hardware to display the digital video
source coming from the mpeg decoder (setup the correct input, setup the
overlay and turn on video) this is done via the V4L2 driver.

This is what I had in mind.

 --------      ----------                 -----------------
| filesrc| -> | MPEG Dec | -> (video) -> |Video sink (v4l2)|
 --------      ----------                 -----------------

                     -> audio
Nothing different one might think, but only the mpeg decoder sink accepts
buffers. The mpeg-decoder output pretends to have a buffer, probably
passing empty buffers to the video sink, which again pretends to take the
buffer from the mpeg decoder. The data flows within the hardware. The crux
of the matter is that, video data _does not_ flow through the gst-buffers,
except between the filesrc and the MPEG decoder.

The same thing goes for audio.

Regards
Sojan.