[gst-devel] dist tarballs

David I. Lehn dlehn at vt.edu
Thu May 9 08:40:04 CEST 2002

* Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be> [20020509 10:04]:
> David added m4 files and similar to the DIST.
> I don't really understand what advantage that gives, so I wanted to bring
> it up so you can share your knowledge on the subject.

Sorry if I broke things.  I got distracted before finishing the job and
didn't do a proper full test.

For every tarball in the past, except perhaps the last one, I've needed
to reautogen the tree while making the debs.  I expect it will be the
same in the future.  It's kind of annoying to keep track of essential
build files when they could just as easily be included in the tarball.

I'm sure someone will argue that if changes are important they would
already be in the tarball.  But that's just not always the case.

It's also nice to be able to hand someone a tarball and say that it's
the full source code base to hack on.  Some people have problems
grabbing CVS through firewalls and so on.

Adding all the auto* stuff also makes it more complete.  Right now we
already have autogen.sh, configure.ac, and all the Makefile.am files in
the tarball.  Why not add the few extra files so all that can actually
be used?

Again, sorry for the temporarry breakage.  I had intended to add that
common stuff to all the packages that use it but I got busy with other
things.

-dave
--
David I. Lehn <dlehn at vt.edu>  | http://crib.lehn.org:8080/~dlehn/