[gst-devel] dist tarballs

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Thu May 9 09:40:04 CEST 2002

> * Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be> [20020509 10:04]:
> > David added m4 files and similar to the DIST.
> > I don't really understand what advantage that gives, so I wanted to bring
> > it up so you can share your knowledge on the subject.
> >

> Sorry if I broke things.  I got distracted before finishing the job and
> didn't do a proper full test.
>
> For every tarball in the past, except perhaps the last one, I've needed
> to reautogen the tree while making the debs.  I expect it will be the
> same in the future.  It's kind of annoying to keep track of essential
> build files when they could just as easily be included in the tarball.

I'd like to know what causes you to need to reautogen them.  If it is
really necessary, then perhaps it is something that needs to be fixed
higher up.  Don't hold your debian goodness back ;) Seriously, let me know
what's the problem here.

> It's also nice to be able to hand someone a tarball and say that it's
> the full source code base to hack on.  Some people have problems
> grabbing CVS through firewalls and so on.

Hm, never heard of firewalls being a problem.  In any case, one solves
this by making cvs snapshots available, not by making the dist tarball
more confusing IMO.

> Adding all the auto* stuff also makes it more complete.  Right now we
> already have autogen.sh, configure.ac, and all the Makefile.am files in
> the tarball.  Why not add the few extra files so all that can actually
> be used?

I would rather remove all of those, that's why I bring it up.

IMO this is how I like stuff :

* wanna hack on gstreamer ? get cvs
* wanna install it from source ? get tarball
* don't want any mess at all ? get your dist's packages

Each of these ways of getting gstreamer applies to different kinds of
users IMO.

Thomas

ik kon liegen
ik kon jou bedriegen