[gst-devel] How to submit a new plugin (XVID)

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri May 10 23:53:03 CEST 2002

Hi Gianluca,

On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 00:08, g.insolvibile at cpr.it wrote:
> the xvid decoding plugin seems to be working fine now. I wonder
> if it is worth to be included in the gst-plugin package and, if so,
> which is the submission procedure.

Simply make a patch against current CVS or just make a tarball of the
files that are to be added. Include a list of dependencies (in your
case: xvid), s we can change configure.ac and some Makefiles.

> In the meantime, if someone wants to play with it, it is available
> at http://mdf.sourceforge.net. Comments and suggestions will be
> welcome!

Some questions then:
* it seesm to be using I420 as decoding colorspace. Is this because this
is the default for decoding or is the XviD package doing a colorspace
conversion internally?
* why are there width/height get/set properties?
* in your chain function, you seem to use a constant variable for
timestamps of the decoded buffers - I also see a queue of buffers... Why
don't you simply decode the buffer as it comes in and then use the
encoded frame's timestamp for the buffer?

Anyway, nice work! I'll do some testing and -if it works- integrate it
in gst-plugins.

Ronald

--
-   .-.