[gst-devel] gst-player

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Sep 23 11:35:09 CEST 2002

Hi Joshua,

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 11:49, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> i've been playing with cinelerra.  To get seek working with cineleera,
> you have to run mpeg3toc on the mpeg file.  mpeg3toc creates an index
> of all the frames.  It takes 2-3 minutes, but then seeking works
> perfectly.
>
> Granted, it's not a perfect solution, but it's ten times better than
> what we have now.

That might be okay for a NLE, but for a player, that's an absolute
no-go. Players just play. Seek inaccurately to the closest key frame if
you want seeking to work OK. Players don't need anything better than
that.

I could also start flaming about the standard quality of
heroinewarrior-based "solutions" to problems, but I'll leave that behind
just for now.

ronald