[gst-devel] UCI Project

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Wed Sep 25 02:02:03 CEST 2002

On 25 Sep 2002, Xavier Bestel wrote:

> UCI should choose the Gstreamer API for their codecs. They would have
> instant support from the Gstreamer experts (I'm sure), plus the pleasure
> of working in a well-thought framework: compatibility with media
> players, NLEs, media servers, etc.

UCI solves a lower-layer problem than GStreamer does.  Gst lets you plug
together *anything* through which data passes.  UCI is solving the problem
of how you write a *codec* API.

Theoretically we could use the Gst API, but before we do that there's a
lot of research in developing the *requirements* of any codec-specific
API.

> Another (related) project you could join/merge/improve if you don't want
> to use a particular API is http://codecs.org (a collection of free
> codecs).
Actually, codecs.org only has one codec (MPEG-1 video decoder), and that's
only really a proof of concept for the other libraries, which are more
infrastructure projects than anything.  They're all detailed to varying
degrees on the website.

Eventually it might become a repository for similarly-designed codecs, and
that's where UCI comes in, providing a similar structure for the APIs for
these codecs.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_