[gst-devel] GstObject API crufted?

Martin Schulze MHL.Schulze at t-online.de
Thu Apr 3 01:42:05 CEST 2003

Hi!

In the process of creating the c++ bindings for gstreamer, I came
across some issues about the GstObject API:

- GstObject has a data field "parent". This field seems to be used only
   for GstElement and GstPad. Other structures don't seem to have a
   clear container<->child relationship. Is this right?

- There is a function gst_object_destroy() that forces the destruction
   of the passed object. Is this intended to work at any time? For
   GstElement/GstPad? For other types? Is the parent notified about
   the destruction?

- Objects of type GstObject can be in floated state. Is this useful for
   all derivations of GstObject?

- Is it useful for all structs that currently inherit GstObject to have the
   data fields "name" and "lock"?

All in all it seems that a great part of the functionality provided by
GstObject is only used by GstElement and GstPad. I suggest
moving this functionality into a further common base structure of
GstElement and GstPad.

Regards,

   Martin