[gst-devel] parsing problems

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Wed Apr 23 08:52:02 CEST 2003

Hi gang,

I'm getting increasingly confused and annoyed by the problems we're
currently experiencing in HEAD wrt pipeline parsing.

A simple gst-launch filesrc ! fakesink is running infinite loops without
ever getting started.

I've been told this is due to bison.

Firstly, I must honestly say I've never ran into bugs with the old parsing
syntax.  Company said there was something wrong with it, did a lot of work
(for which we of course thank you), then came up with something new that
has a different syntax which we probably don't fully get yet - but it is
irritating that we have to force a change.

What's worse though is that apparently it does not work with my very
recent rh9-included bison.

So something is wrong, and I don't understand what it is.

I see two options:
- we revert back to the old parsing grammar, which I don't know what was
wrong with, but worked fine
- somebody does the work to properly make our new parsing stuff work on
  reasonably standard bison versions (I count rh8's and rh9's bison
  as "standard", and you all are welcome to declare some debian and
  other distro versions as standard).

Basically I'm saying that we shouldn't start enforcing people to upgrade
standard old development tools when chances are part of the problem is
ours and it can be fixed more elegantly.

Also, this really tells us that we should work at getting some osort of
regression testing going, because this is the sort of thing we really need
to avoid.  If the simplest of pipelines fails, we probably cannot begin to
assess what else might go wrong.

So, Leif, where you at ? :) Let's get together and set up a test suite.

Thomas

I hit him around a lot.
For Spike, that's like third base ...
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->