[gst-devel] Re: Totem or no Totem was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Wed Apr 23 15:30:16 CEST 2003

> On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 15:36, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > You didn't get it at all. These are just subtitle formats, you can use
> > them on top of any video playable by the player. Ie. if I have an MPEG
> > file, and a subtitle file, I can have the subtitles synchronised with
> > the video. For all these formats, the specs are available.
>
> Well, for some reason I can't get to most of the sites google finds for
> these formats, they crash Mozilla 1.2.  That worries me already ;-)
>
> It's good to hear that these are alternative synchronization formats...
> can they handle multiple audio streams also (i.e. descriptive audio?).
>
> I would still have some concerns about whether these formats have
> sufficient traction to be promoted to accessible content creators, but
> it's really good to know that some tools are starting to appear.

This may be a stupid question, but who's going to promote this to content
creators ? Who are these content creators ? And why aren't they using SMIL
already ?

> If nothing else I would expect that some transformation software between
> SMIL and these formats could be put together.

same here - who's going to  write this software ?

I've been hearing about SMIL for a long time but I've never had to use it
and I don't see a lot being done with it.

Thomas

Follow me down to the bushes dear
No one will know we'll disappear
I'll hold your hand we'll never tell
Our private little trip to hell tonight
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->