[gst-devel] auto-detection and esound

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Sat Apr 26 05:18:03 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 01:46, Steve Baker wrote:
> If there was some way of confirming that the esd daemon was running
> without starting it as a side-effect that would help. Looking at esd.h
> I'm not sure this is possible.
>
> If this isn't solved then auto-detection will appear to have succeeded
> but esd won't be able to play anything. Of course another option is to
> remove esdsink from the auto-detection list, but I don't really want to
> do that.
>
> Any suggestions?

Looking at the code for esd, setting the "ESD_NO_SPAWN" environment
variable before doing your test should have the desired effect.  This
should override anything in esd.conf or ~/.esd.conf

Of course, this could still fail if esd is in sleep mode (eg, was
started with "-as 2") and something else has the sound device open.  But
that would be more acceptable (lots of things will fail in that
situation, I think), and is arguably the users/distributions fault.

--
Richard