[gst-devel] Doing new releases

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Aug 14 10:18:08 CEST 2003

Hey,

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 17:34, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
> > Question is if we now feel confident enough to declare the ABI/API of
> > CVS head stable enough that we can be rather sure that 0.8, 1.0, 1.2 and
> > so on will be API stable between eachother.
> >
> IMO 0.8 and the release after that should not be API compatible. And I
> definitely don't want ABI compatibility forced on me there.

We don't force anything. But we simply can't claim ABI/API
compatibility. We can try to do that for 1.0 and all 1.x releases after
that, or at least for the API part. But not during 0.x.

> I don't think we want a "hack away on stable all you like" attitude. But you
> don't want to have all devs wander of to another branch either. So you should
> at least make it fun to work on that branch. Currently it isn't fun to work
> there. Everyone works on HEAD. And it never was. Remember how we askled
> everyone to do backports for 0.6.1 and noone did a thing?

I've said it before: I'm open for better suggestions. I'm not too happy
with the lack of active backporting to 0.6.x either. ;).

However, I just *want* some certainty and control (not specifically by
me, but just in general) over the stable branch. I want to be sure that
we don't break API/ABI within one release range. We simply need *some*
sort of control there. Make proposals on how to do it, but a "everyone
just go ahead and we'll see where we end up" won't work.

Ronald