[gst-devel] threads in 0.7

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Dec 10 07:48:03 CET 2003

Hey all,

so, it's dawning on some of us that threads are broken, and events no
longer pass thread boundaries anymore.  This used to work okayish in
0.6, even though people say that was entirely by accident.  I have no
problem believing that, but it was an accident that took place in 99% of
the cases.

If something as basic and uservisible as this (ie, seeking in player and
rhythmbox) can't be fixed before 0.8, there's no point in us trying to
get 0.8 into GNOME 2.  I realize there are lots of issues to fix and we
need to break stuff to fix stuff, but we shouldn't promise GNOME a
working GStreamer if it can't seek in 99% of the cases.

I'm not sure where to start on this, so let's start by discussing
a) when it broke during 0.7
b) why it is impossible for it to work right now in 99%
c) what the reason was that it broke in 0.6 in 1% of the cases
d) how we are going to tackle this major issue in the short timeframe we
have before 2.6

Thanks
Thomas