[gst-devel] Re: Helix Player virtual team meeting

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Sun Dec 14 01:49:10 CET 2003

Rob Adams wrote:
> Well I'm glad to hear that Real has improved the quality of its video
> offerings recently.  It would perhaps have been more correct to say that
> RealVideo has been historically substandard, as least as far as the
> quality of video actually appearing in the RealVideo format, but it is
> entirely possible that this will change in the future.
>
> The other end of it, of course, is the pain associated with installing
> the RealVideo codec in the first place.  On the Windows platform, of
> course, Real is at an inherent disadvantage because of Windows Media
> Player not shipping with a RealVideo codec.  Real should take steps to
> make viewing their video less difficult for users.  For the vast
> majority of users, installing RealOne is the only way they know how to
> get access to viewing the video (if there's a DirectShow plugin, you
> certainly can't get to it from the web site), and RealOne player by
> default is extremely annoying.

Realsplitter.ax : http://sf.net/projects/guliverkli

The filter will link to the Real DLLs once Realplayer ( or
'alternatives' ;) ) are installed. Works fine for Windows Mediaplayer,
and also for any other Dshow player i have tested. This filter was the
reason for us to add RV9 and RA8 muxing into matroska, and in fact
thanks to the stunning quality of RV9 it has become the most used video
codec in MKV for the time being, in most cases with Vorbis or AAC audio
and SRT/SSA subtitles. I have a 700 MB encoding of Titanic here on my
HDD, the 4 hrs Director Cut, in 704 x 360 and with 2 AAC audio tracks !!
Try doing this with any other codec around ;) .

I recommend to Real to open up their decoder license, and only the
decoder, this would help for most things already. L-GPL should be fine.

Christian
matroska project admin