[gst-devel] GStreamer needs a maintainer

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Dec 17 00:38:05 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 04:31:58PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> El mar, 16-12-2003 a las 14:27, Benjamin Otte escribi??:
> > - we use a ChangeLog or not
>
> You're twisting things around.
> a) YOU decided we shouldn't use it.  YOU removed it from CVS, right
> after I again made entries in the ChangeLog.
> b) YOU force other people NOT to use the ChangeLog.  I never forced YOU
> to use the ChangeLog.  If you don't want to use it, that's too bad.  But
> why should you force me not to use it ?

Ugh, I go away for 2 days, and everyone gets into a cat fight.

Thomas:  An incomplete ChangeLog is misleading, and worse than no
changelog.  If you have a plan to create a changelog that is
demonstrably better than the output of cvs2cl, _complete_, and
not too much additional burden to developers, I think you'd get
a lot more support.  As it is, you have almost no support from
developers.

Benjamin:  The rest of us have decided that it's a good thing
that CVS builds all the time.  It's always OK to break the build
accidentally -- we *all* do that.  However, you have broken the
build on purpose, and then defended the action.  This leads to
the situation where every time the build breaks because of one
of your checkins, someone needs to talk to you to determine if
you did it on purpose.  This is not sustainable.  (And furthermore,
I've observed you take questions about the breakage quite
personally.)

Ronald:  I should probably yell at you for something, but nothing
comes to mind.

David (Schleef):  You probably need to be yelled at, too.  Stop
being so hard on people.

Please, everyone, stop with the line of reasoning that starts with
"If everyone did it my way, everything would be Just Great."[1]  And
keep in mind that in a collective project, everything you do or
don't do affects people in subtlely coercive ways, especially
those people that have a significant interest in the direction of
the project.

dave...

[1] /me says "If everyone did it my way, everything would be Just
Great."