[gst-devel] GStreamer needs a maintainer

Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com
Wed Dec 17 11:59:00 CET 2003

> On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 12:28, Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com wrote:
> > > The bad thing is that *every single
> > > commit* by someone else would cause a CVS conflict in the
> > > ChangeLog file, because I had a bunchload of changes there
> > > too.
> > This is a minor annoyance.
>
> Well, I'm affraid I have to disagree there. It's a huge
> annoyance for a
> high-traffic project like GStreamer. It'll happen every time.
> *Literally* every time. I personally consider that unacceptable.
>
> Isn't there a simpler system to do this sort of stuff? I mean, there
> must be a better way to keep track of changes apart from having a
> ChangeLog file?

Well, at the moment, I think you just write a cvs commit message when you
check in. Likewise, if you just write the ChangeLog before you check in (you
should do a cvs update before you checkin anyway) then you won't have this
problem. I don't necessarily recommend it, but it's no worse than what you
do now.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc at usa.net