[gst-devel] What about TLA? [was: GStreamer needs a maintainer]

Andreas Rottmann a.rottmann at gmx.at
Wed Dec 17 17:32:12 CET 2003

"David I. Lehn" <dlehn at vt.edu> writes:

> * Ronald Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net> [2003-12-16T10:57:05-0500]:
>> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 16:31, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>> > Incidentally, the question "Why can't you guys use ChangeLog's like a
>> > real project" is an often heard outsider question.  And I completely
>> > agree.  Why anyone would think the sorry excuse of "check cvs commit
>> > logs" is valid is beyond me :) I can understand though the reason of
>> > being too lazy to update the ChangeLog, which is also fine by me.  It's
>> > just not my style.  I love ChangeLogs for looking up changes.
>>
>> I can answer this one: it doesn't work.
> [...]
>
> We could switch from CVS to arch and use their auto ChangeLog feature.

I might offer a tla archive for a start, since I did already some
(rather minor) local changes/fixes to the gst-plugins module
(media-info), and prefer TLA much for daily work. I already did so for
the guile-gtk and gst-guile projects. The following excerpt is from a
mail explaining the setup:

,----
| [...] I have made an arch branch of following the CVS trunk, as well
| as a private branch where I commit my changes to. I'll explain shortly
| how this all works:
|
| I've set up a directory that is both an arch and a CVS working copy,
| corresponding to the --cvstrunk arch branch and CVS HEAD,
| respectivly. I can run tla-cvs-sync in this directory to sync between
| these two (updating the working copy from CVS and committing the
| changes to arch and vice versa). On my private branch, I develop
| stuff, committing to it as I move along. Once I think (parts) of my
| changes are ready for integration into CVS, I'll post a message here
| with an attached changeset for discussion and review. If the changeset
| is deemed OK, I can merge it into the --cvstrunk branch and then run
| tla-cvs-sync to get it into CVS. Hope this makes intended process
| clear (to a degree ;-).
`----

The problem in the above setup is the last sentence; the one who runs
tla-cvs-sync must (a) have the described 'dual' working copy (b)
commit rights to CVS. I don't (yet, maybe) qualify for the
latter. I'll probably just start my private branch, with base-0 being
the CVS as on <insert future date>. For the cvstrunk mentioned above,
it might be a good idea to make it managed by tla-pqm[0], in this case
it could be even synced automatically to CVS.

Disclaimer: ATM, tla-cvs-sync does not yet include the CVS commit
messages in the log, so we'd end up with two logs if only part of the
developers uses tla. This can be probably quite simply be fixed in
tla-cvs-sync (I'll look into that).

[0] http://web.verbum.org/tla-pqm/
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty at ICQ      | 118634484 at ICQ | a.rottmann at gmx.at