[gst-devel] Notes about docs/random/negotiation

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Dec 24 04:42:02 CET 2003

Note 1: This is probably mostly directed at David.
Note 2: David, please get yourself your own subdirectory in docs/random.
It's nice to know who to bug with questions about those random docs.

Anyway, I just read the negotiation stuff, and there were some things I
wanted to have cleared:

- What's the exact order of fixate functions called? Does the
(non)existance of such functions influence that behaviour? (I guess the
default fixate function is never called if another one is available?)

- Is there a simple way we can get around renego issues which will come
up with elements that aren't fixed to allow this? (elements without a src
link function that use gst_pad_try_set_caps)

- Why doesn't gst_pad_try_set_caps call its own link function? That would
be the only way of doing caps nego without calling both link functions...

- Can we deprecate gst_pad_try_set_caps? Every element using this _must_
have a src_link function knowing about this or renego will definitely
break. And then, you can simply use gst_pad_renegotiate.

- Can we have gst_pad_ensure_negotiated or something? I guess that would
be nice to have.

- I want a testsuite for all elements trying renego, please :) (I know mad
will break...)

- What's the function call to get the currently negotiated caps of a pad?

- Is pad->caps deprecated? If so, can we add a comment in the header?

- Can someone rework/deprecate the macros - like GST_CAPS_FIXED or
GST_PAD_CAPS? Or don't we want that?

Woo, that was more than I first thought it would be...

Benjamin