[gst-devel] Network wide gstreamer and qos.

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Dec 25 14:59:02 CET 2003

Hi Sanjay,

On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 20:38, Sanjay, Addicam V wrote:
> 1. Let us assume that there are two machines Computer A and
> Computer B.
> 2. Computer A produces data in only mpeg1 format. Computer B
> takes data only in Mpeg2 format.
> 3. Let us assume that there is one more computer C in the
> network which has a mpeg1 to mpeg2 plugin.
> 4. Is it a viable idea to have a gstreamer pipeline across
> the network, consisting of plugins in computer A, computer
> C and computer B.

Sure. We already have TCP/IP plugins, they just don't do capsnego across
network yet. This should be easy to implement, though.

> 5. Similiarly, let us assume that there are two computers
> Computer C and computer D in the network, both offering
> mpeg1 to mpeg2 plugins. Then a decision has to be made as to
> which plugin is to be used wrt to quality of service. Can
> gstreamer play a role here.

Sure, but you're being very general. My guinea pig could make that
choice too, if you understand what I mean. What are you aiming at
exactly?

Note that we don't actually do QoS yet, although it's planned to be
worked on some day. I've got some ideas on it, I just don't have time
right now. Or rather, QoS is not a priority for me right now.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer