Gnome-2.6, GStreamer-0.8 and caps [was: Re: [gst-devel] more caps]

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Dec 26 02:18:01 CET 2003

Hi,

I'll do this in a separate email because it's not very much related to
this discussion, it's just something that I should document...

On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 15:56, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Since renego needs caps and caps don't change for different sizes with
> mpeg4 (or do they? - optional properties need to die...), it's just not
> possible right now.

I'm sorry for taking so long to document this. An element is supposed to
provide all the details it *can* give. If it knows size (and ffenc_*
does!), it needs to provide it. Why? Because some output plugins (e.g.
avimux) *require* it. Others (mpeg muxer, demuxer) don't. This means
that for mpegdemux, we'd need an mpegvideoparse element (hey! we have
that already! ;) ) to extract the missing information from the stream.
Note that we don't have an mpeg4videoparse element yet.

Optional means "provide if known", and that we (want to) have a separate
element that parses the data from the stream if it's not provided by the
source element.

And yeah, I need to document this (it's in docs/random/mimetypes, but
that's not a real doc, it's just a text file), and will, when I find
time. Before 0.8.0, for sure.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer