[gst-devel] Library for mms protocol support

Mathrick mnews2 at wp.pl
Fri Dec 26 06:36:02 CET 2003

(CC'ing gstreamer-devel)

Hi guys,
I want to propose development of library for mms protocol support. Right
now, each and every project that wants to support mms is required to
implement all of SDP specs itself, due to lack of common library for
that. To remedy that, I'd like to start project aimed at providing such
a library. The benefits are as usual from using lib:

- no code duplication
- larger userbase, more extensive testing
- possible larger developer base
- better feature parity between projects
- single fix benefits all users
etc.

Availability of such library would also benefit other projects, that may
want to support mms, but cannot currently afford developing yet another
proprietary implementation, like GStreamer or GnomeVFS, and possibly
others.
Technically, such a lib would be required to have been LGPL'd, because
both GStreamer and Gnome projects are LGPL.
It would be the coolest to turn existing xine implementation into
library, as it is pretty good one, and also largely independent from
xine itself, but I'm aware of your code being GPL, and that you may not
want or be able to relicense it as LGPL. Thus, just your cooperation and
support will be of great value.
I'd like to discuss available possibilities for few days, and then open
SF project in about a week or two. Unfortunately, I have finals coming
in late January, that may severly limit amount of my free time, but I'll
do my best. I look forward to your comments (please CC me, I'm not
subscribed to xine-devel).

Cheers,
Maciej

--