[gst-devel] Gst-Player discussion

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Wed Jan 15 02:56:03 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 10:38, Julien MOUTTE wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After being flamed for discussing this on irc here comes a mail on the
ML to discuss about my thoughts...

> I ve been working recoding the GstVideoWidget used by Gst-Player to
avoid using gtk_socket which has some issues in event handling and
versions of gtk. I am almost done with that stuff.

> I am a bit confused with that player here are the points :
>
> a) the control bar has changed, stop button disappeared. why ?
> b) Preferences to configure stuff have been commented out. why ?
> c) the libgstmediaplay contains thousands of code lines that are never
used. why ?

> If we plan to go into gnome, we will have to deal with HIG/Usability
people...

> I think it would be definitely a good idea that someone tells me where
are the mockup defining what gst-player has to be when in gnome, so that
we can look at the code and maybe make it cleaner/stable/lighter, etc...

> If this analysis does not exists, it would be another good idea to get
everybody's input and make one. I mean if prefs will never be used why
keeping a widget in the lib for it and commenting lines everywhere...

> Don't misunderstand me...
>
> I m not the nth guy coming saying we have to rebuild from scratch that
player, i just want to point out that i don't know where we go with that
player and when i ask to people they don't know neither...

> Please react on this as my opinion is that this player will be one of
the front marketing of gstreamer in gnome... if this player sucks people
will think Gstreamer sucks...

Like I told you on IRC, your widget seems like it would be a good
starting point to write a GtkXine widget with a gstreamer backend.

This way, you could get the whole Totem UI for free (and there's quite a
lot of work that's been done on that already).

You don't have to implement all the functions from GtkXine to make it
usable, for example, the DVD and VCD playback stuff is only available if
gtk_xine_can_play () returns TRUE for that media type.

As Thomas is very busy already, it would be cool if you took onto this
task. You can even commit directly to the CVS as long as you don't touch
the rest of the code ;)

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault