[gst-devel] gst-launch test..

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Jul 21 00:55:10 CEST 2003

Hi Rob,

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 08:09, Rob Kramer wrote:
> [rob] ~> gst-launch filesrc location=/cdrom/bmwshort.vob ! mpegdemux
> name=demux ! demux.video_00! { mpeg2dec ! xvideosink }
> .. but that doesn't quite work:

HEAD:
gst-launch filesrc location=bla.vob ! mpegdemux name=demux .video_00 ! {
queue ! mpeg2dec ! xvideosink }

0.6.x:
gst-launch filesrc location=bla.vob ! mpegdemux name=demux video_00! {
queue ! mpeg2dec ! xvideosink }

Note the missing dot and space in 0.6.x. The grammar changed somewhat.

> I can't seem to find documentation on the gst-launch grammar, besides the bit
> in the manual. Where does 'video_00' come from, for example?

gst-launch is a test tool, nothing more. A really important one, but
still only a test tool. Not an end-user application. For real work, you
want to write XML pipelines via gst-editor or write a full-fledged
application. ;).

video_00 is a padname that's generated in mpegdemux if any video stream
is seen. If there's two videostreams, the second would be video_01.
Audio is audio_xx, etc.

See:
gst-launch filesrc location=bla.vob ! mpegdemux name=demux .video_00 ! {
queue ! mpeg2dec ! colorspace ! xvideosink } demux.audio_00 ! { queue !
mad ! osssink }
for video+audio combined.

HTH,
Ronald