[gst-devel] Sink autodetect and async state change

in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jul 31 05:59:08 CEST 2003

Zitat von Tim Otten <tim at cap.american.edu>:

> Re: Benjamin
>
> I spent a while trying to decide whether the auto-launch/die behavior
> makes things bad, good, acceptable, or irrelevent. There's no good
> heuristic for deciding if the user 'really' wants a daemon to be
> auto-launched (except, of course, asking her). I don't really think
> GStreamer can solve interaction problems at the daemon/sink level --
> that's really up to app writers and distro's. I would be happy if
> GStreamer just chose _some_ sink that would work by default.

Well for me it's quite simple to find out if the user wants to use a sound
server: If he's running one, he wants one. If he isn't running one why should
he want to use one - especially considering that sound servers are started by
the session manager.

But if you just want some sink, that's obviously a way to do it :)

Benjamin