[gst-devel] NETgstreamer?

Leif Johnson leif at ambient.2y.net
Tue Jun 24 14:14:27 CEST 2003

Hi Zeenix -

I think this sounds cool. Although I'm not super familiar with some of the
GStreamer internals, there doesn't seem to be a lot in the implementation
that binds GStreamer to a particular type of data. As long as the caps
system can expand nicely to handle non-multimedia types of data.

That said, if GStreamer starts moving into non-multimedia domains, it
starts to look a lot like CORBA to me (although CORBA has a lot more
overhead and capabilities for interprocess communication). Does anyone else
see this parallel ? Caps negotiation is somewhat analogous to CORBA
interfaces, GStreamer elements are like CORBA components, and GStreamer
bins/pipelines/threads are like CORBA entity containers ...

So, imho, you might be able to write this bandwidth limiter thing using a
CORBA component model methodology, or you could write it using some
GStreamer plugins. The GStreamer way would be a nice way to test out some
of the more theoretical GStreamer constructs. : )

leif

Leif Morgan Johnson : http://ambient.2y.net/leif/