[gst-devel] D-BUS based multimedia server

Michael Meeks michael at ximian.com
Thu Mar 13 06:09:09 CET 2003

Hi Steve,

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 09:17, Steve Baker wrote:
> I've also thought about using D-BUS as a transport protocol for a media
> server. My immediate concern would be D-BUS not delivering the kinds of
> latency required by multimedia applications.

	I'd be more worried about having to design your own flow control
system on top. Ultimately I would imagine that using a separate protocol
(or simple socket) for the raw data, with a separate control channel
(for which D/BUS is more suited) is the best way to do media streams.

	Re-inventing TCP is prolly not a good idea ;-) I'd look at MCOP or
whatever it's called - Stephan is a sensible chap.

	Regards,

		Michael.

--
 mmeeks at gnu.org  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot