[gst-devel] Monkeys Audio support working

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Mar 18 13:24:11 CET 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:02:32AM -0800, Josh Coalson wrote:
> Keep in mind that the Monkey's Audio source is automatically
> GPLed since its range coder is someone else's implementation,
> released under the GPL.

Um, no.  That's not how it works.

> Compare Source/MACLib/BitArray.cpp and Source/MACLib/UnBitArray.cpp
> with rangecod.c from
> http://www.compressconsult.com/rangecoder/rangecoder1.3.tar.gz

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I see only a few lines that are
even remotely similar between those two files:

  #define CODE_BITS 32
  #define TOP_VALUE ((unsigned int ) 1 << (CODE_BITS - 1))
  #define SHIFT_BITS (CODE_BITS - 9)
  #define EXTRA_BITS ((CODE_BITS - 2) % 8 + 1)

Four lines do not make a derived work, otherwise this mail would
be in violation of copyright.  I wouldn't be surprised if these
lines even came from one of the research papers referenced in
rangecoder1.3.tar.gz or the web site.  I wasn't able to check this
quickly.

dave...