[gst-devel] Monkeys Audio support working

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Mar 18 16:08:11 CET 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 03:35:38PM -0800, Josh Coalson wrote:
> > Um, no.  That's not how it works.
>
> Well, the Monkey's Audio source is clearly a derived work
> according US copyright law and the GPL (more below).  So one of
> these must be true:
>
> 1. the derived work can not be legally redistributed

Only #1 is a direct consequence of the situation you describe.
Everything else is merely a method of extracting oneself legally
from that situation.

> The rangecoder1.3.tar.gz code contains refinements that are not
> described in the research papers.  In addition, the four lines you
> quote are just the tip of the iceberg.  RangeDecodeFast() and
> RangeDecodeFastWithUpdate() are obviously derived from
> dec_normalize(), decode_culshift(), and decode_update().  They
> both even use the same method for flushing the buffer which is
> specific to this particular implementation.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out.  I agree that they have common
ancestry.  If there had been proper attribution, I would say
that it would be fair use.  (Unless there's significantly more
code.)

Anyway, I don't have anything more to say that is constructive.

dave...