[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs www: www/dev/

David I. Lehn dlehn at vt.edu
Wed May 14 12:02:06 CEST 2003

* David I. Lehn <dlehn at vt.edu> [20021210 17:30]:
> * Thomas Vander Stichele <thomasvs at users.sourceforge.net> [20021210 18:15]:
> > Log message:
> > adding branch name
> > I really forgot what 4.2 was called
> >
> > +HREF="http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gstreamer/?cvsroot=gstreamer&only_with_tag=RELEASE-0_5_0-PRIVATEDANCER">RELEASE-0_5_0-PRIVATEDANCER</A></TT>:
>
> Can I make a plea to stop this madness!  When even the authors of
> release names can't remember what they are, why do we have to encode
> them into the CVS tags?  It's impossible to remember and requires an
> extra step of looking at all the tags just to find a release name.
>
> I propose we change our policy to from now on simplify tags by removing
> the release name:
>
> old: RELEASE-0_5_0-IFORGETTHENAME
> new: RELEASE-0_5_0
>
> Any supporters of this?

There were a few gleeful supporters of this proposal back when I posted
this message.  But the naming has stayed the same.  There was a rumor on
IRC that omega liked the current way of doing things but I couldn't find
a response from him either way.  If anyone wants to search the IRC logs
for comments go ahead.  I don't have them archived.

So, object now if you want to, otherwise I vote we change for 0.6.2
onward.  Where do we document this change so release masters do the
proper thing?

-dave